Sunday, August 21, 2016

Disruptive Marketing book review

I read a book - Disruptive Marketing - What Growth Hackers, Data Punks, and Other Hybrid Thinkers can Teach us about Navigating the New Normal by Geoffrey Colon.  (no - I did not make up the sub-title).

In short - I love it.  Partly I love it just because I love marketing.  But mostly I love it because Colon understands that marketing has changed and is changing.  The old time advertising model is dead.  people do not want to be interrupted.  Social media, and social interaction is the new normal.

Despite loving it, there was no clear answer on how to win in this new normal.  That part was not satisfying.

My favourite chapter was 12.  Learn, unlearn, relearn.   Earlier in the book, Colon had admonished people to not rely on their MBA or 30 years of experience.  The gist of chapter 12 is we need to be constant learners and as soon as we think we have learned something, we likely need to learn something different.

I liked a number of the quotes in the book (not only from the author but from other people).

"The most disruptive thing in the market is not technology, but rather the customer"  Tiffani Bova

"Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"  Anon

"For every problem you are trying to solve, you should be asking more questions" Colon  In the same paragraph he talks about asking the question "what if".

"A true scare commodity is increasingly human attention"  Satya Nadella

"There is no failure in the new world of marketing - only learning" Colon

It was a great way for me to spend part of my weekend.  I am inspired (so now all the Danby staff will run away when they see me).

++++++++++++++++++++++
I listened to a short audio book on Habit Stacking.  Not worth listening to because I will tell you the gist of the message.  I have used it for years.

To start a new good habit (assuming you do not want to start new bad habits) - stack it to one you already do.  For example - every time you brush your teeth - do the new habit before or after.  And you can continue to stack on a number of new habits.

Make a list of the regular habits you have - showering (at least I hope this is one of your habits), brushing your teeth, getting in the car, shaving, getting out of bed etc.  Make a list of the habits you want to stack - meditating, drinking (water that is), balancing on one leg, pushups, sit ups, deep breathing etc.  And simply stack the good habits on the other habits.

++++++++++++++++++++
And for those interested in decreasing risk of Alzheimers by 53% - a new diet.  Of course when you read about it, it really is just the same good diet that we have read about for years.
+++++++++++++++++++
And for the child in everyone - the executive colouring book that I thought was hilarious.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home